Yes, it’s Monday but if you are a Manchester United fan you can’t help be intrigued by the headline on Eurosport and other sites, albeit a rumor, that United have agreed to personal terms with Borussia Dortmund star, Jadon Sancho after both sides have been rumored to have been in secret talks for months.
According to several sites, United have been in secret discussions with Sancho and his entourage for months and now believe they have won the race for his signature, with ‘almost every detail of the move’ already agreed.
Sancho’s contract, salary, bonuses, and even a massive buyout clause have all been verbally agreed upon. However, one rather large obstacle remains: United still need to agree on a fee with Dortmund, who are adamant they will not accept less than €110million (£95m), which would eclipse the £89m United spent on Paul Pogba.
Dortmund CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke admitted last month that the club would not stand in Sancho’s way if he asked to leave, but that team would have to pay, and pay a lot.
‘Even before the coronavirus outbreak, we said that we prefer that Jadon stays with us,’ Watzke told Bild in March.
‘At the end of the day, however, you always have to respect what the player wants.’
He added: ‘I’ll say clearly say that even the very rich clubs shouldn’t believe that they can come here to snap up bargains. We don’t have to sell anyone for less than they’re worth.’
As part of Sancho’s transfer from Manchester City to Dortmund, the Premier League champions included a first refusal clause allowing them to match any offer for the winger – though they will not trigger that option despite the winger nearing a move to rivals United.
It is an interesting rumor if nothing more than that. We shall see.